Sunday, May 23, 2010




As long as I am laying things bare, here is another thing about me: inspiration comes in waves. Since we are about to move into a spring cleanse and be talking sprouts and flax meal, I figured we should get the deli stuff out of the way first. Truth: I love cheese. I love the stinky ones, the mild fresh ones, the gooey oozing ones and now, I have begun making my own. About a month ago I took a class here and have since made some tasty ricotta, mozzarella and butter! Double truth: I love butter.
Anyway, the fresh cheeses are amazingly easy and delicious in summer tarts, caprese salad or a simply with jam on morning toast.
Here is the recipe from haystack for goat ricotta- super yummy, super simple.

Ricotta Goat
Ingredients:
1 gallon whole milk
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
3 T melted butter
1/2 t baking soda

1. Heat the milk in a non-reactive pan to 195 degrees, stirring often! You will need a hand held thermometer to keep track of your temps.

2. Once you reach 195 F, slowly stir in vinegar, a little at at a time, until the curds and whey ( of little Miss Muffet fame) separate. If whey is milky, heat to 205 degrees F.

3. Spoon (or use your hands) curds into a colander lined with cheesecloth and let drain for 1 minute.

4. Place curds in a bowl and mix in butter and baking soda. Done.

Store in refrigerator but let it come back up to room temperature before enjoying.